I keep thinking our hiring will slow down, and then find myself writing another job posting. This one is for a front line Defender of the YNAB Brand—a support rep.
What this job would look like:
- You would set your own schedule, but you’d need to stick to something fairly regular. So if you told us you planned on knocking out some cases for a few hours on a Saturday morning, we’d plan on you doing just that.
- You care about the single customer.
- You know that speed of response is the number one driver of customer satisfaction and that,
- Accuracy of response is a close second.
- You’d track your time and email me your hours on a monthly basis. I’d cut you a check each month.
- You’d be a 1099 contractor, responsible for your own internet, working space (probably at home, but you could do the work wherever you preferred), computer, etc.
- The pay would be $10-$15 per hour, depending on your experience.
- We’re looking at about 20 hours per week, with a bias toward weekend hours.
- The hours would perhaps ebb and flow, where some weeks were very busy (new years is always busy, where December is not).
- Your technical skills would definitely need to be up to snuff. You know your way around computers, basically forward and backward, can troubleshoot stuff with some Google searches, and can explain things for people that aren’t as skilled as you, so they can feel victorious :)
- Your location, country-wise can be totally flexible. Your English needs to be superb, but accents are totally fine!
How YNAB works
- We collaborate using email, Basecamp, Google Hangouts, Skype, and HipChat. Even a real phone on occasion.
- We do meetups in person every 18 months or so. The next one is in a few weeks, where we’ll be doing some survival training out in the California desert, and then staying in a hotel at night. Yes, those two can coexist. We may take surfing lessons while we’re there.
- We’re profitable, and in this for the long haul, boostrapped initially from $63 of AdWords spending back in 2004.
- We don’t track vacation or sick days. We hire people that would never abuse that situation.
- Our number one growth driver is word of mouth.
- We don’t work during the week surrounding Christmas.
- We give our team members birthday presents :)
How to Apply (Application DEADLINE is April 30)
- Everything should go to: YNAB+YNAB0518@applications.recruiterbox.com
- Send us your resume as a PDF.
- Send us a really interesting/compelling cover letter that answers, at a minimum:
- Why you would make a great YNAB Support rep.
- What prior tech support experience you’ve had.
- The book you’re currently reading, why you’re reading that book, and what you’ve learned so far from it.
- Share a positive customer service experience where you were the customer. What made the experience positive?
- Respond to the following support case: ”Hey, I bought YNAB about two weeks ago, and it’s just not working out. Could I please have a refund?” (Bear in mind that since we offer a 34-day free trial, our stated policy on refunds is that we don’t provide them.)
- Respond to the following support case: “We are trying to install YNAB on a 2nd computer in our home and I can’t find the right activation key for it. The one I’m using isn’t working. Are we not allowed to install YNAB on another computer? And if we are, how can I get the key to activate it?”
- Respond to the following support case: “I must say that I’m pretty frustrated at this point. I just purchased YNAB and spent several hours trying to import transactions from the last 6 years into YNAB. And now the program that I just paid $60 for is running super slow. To top it all off, I just found out that YNAB doesn’t automatically connect to my banks and download transactions for me going forward! Why would a financial program like yours NOT do this automatically?? I’m not sure I can spend the time manually entering transactions every day and would like to ask for a refund.”
- Respond to the following support case: “I can’t get Cloud Sync to work for the life of me. I have YNAB installed on two computers and I have an Android phone with the YNAB app. On my mobile app it just says “Woops! we couldn’t find any budget set up for Cloud Sync…” And the YNAB app on my computers are definitely NOT showing the same budget files. Please help!”