How Much Time Do You Have?
On average, new budgeters save $600 by month two and more than $6,000 the first year! Pretty solid return on investment.
Try YNAB FREE for 34 days
Start taking control of your money
After your trial, continue for $4.17/month, billed annually at $50
No credit card required.
To celebrate the launch of YNAB’s public API, we held a contest in the summer of 2018 to find the best new integration. We got a ton of fantastic submissions. Check out the winners and honorable mentions. Maybe those will inspire you to build your own integration! You can find our API documentation here.
So let’s get down to it. Aside from bragging rights, what were you competing for?
VR Headset and a rig to accompany it (up to $3,000 total) and three years of YNAB free.
iPhone X or a Google Pixel 2 XL and one year of YNAB free.
A five-person panel from across the YNAB team judged submissions. This included two people from development, and one from design, customer support, and marketing.
They judged submissions on the following criteria:
To be considered, your submission had to:
We allowed eight weeks for submissions. All submissions were due by August 19th at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST), 2018. We announced winners on September 10th, 2018.
Would you like to share what you’re working on with the YNAB Community? Our Support Forum is a great place to do that!
Yes, anyone over the age of 18 is eligible.
Yes, the app must be functional to be eligible.
This will likely happen. If it does, the project that best fulfills the judging criteria will win. Should both submissions be in the final round of consideration, the one farthest along in development and most polished will take precedence.
We’ll only share the winners’ ideas publicly, but if you want to share your ideas with the community, by all means, go for it! Our Support Forum may be a great place to share what you’re working on.
Absolutely! But you’ll need to figure out how to split the prize!
Yes! If you’ve done the work on multiple projects, please feel free to enter more than once. Just remember, each entry must fulfill the minimum requirements to be considered.
It does not, but we are hoping for (and giving judging points for) entries that fill a need in the YNAB community. To actually be used by the community, OAuth for authentication will need to be built-in. Be sure to check out our API Starter Kit as an example since it has OAuth support built-in.
More than you ever wanted to know! All the nitty-gritty, lawyerly details in one place:
1. Eligibility: Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to those who are 18 as of the date of entry. The Contest is void where prohibited by law. Employees of You Need a Budget (the “Sponsor”) their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate in the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of You Need a Budget, as final and binding as it relates to the content. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
3. Contest Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on or about June 25th, 2018 and ending August 19th, 2018. The winner will be announced no later than September 10th, 2018.
4. How to Enter: The Contest must be entered by submitting an entry via the form at this web address: https://www.youneedabudget.com/contest-ynab-api. Multiple entries are allowed so long as each project fulfills the minimum requirements.
5. Minimum Requirements: You Need a Budget, in its sole discretion, may reject any entry if it fails to meet the following minimum requirements: i) entry adheres to the API Terms of Service, ii) entry represents the entrant’s own, unique work, iii) entry is a functional app, and iv) the entrant provides a link to a demo project and/or source code. Entries may NOT contain, as determined by You Need a Budget, in our sole discretion, any content that is: sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons, criminal activities of any kind, or a particular political agenda; is obscene or offensive; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies; communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law. We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
6. How will entries be used: Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you are: granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed); agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above; understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry; understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. In other words, YNAB might already be working on ideas similar or identical to yours, and might even launch a competing feature before or after you do.
You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
7. Prizes: The winner will receive a virtual reality headset, a computer to accompany it (or a cash equivalent up to $3,000), and three years of YNAB free. The runner-up will receive an iPhone X OR a Google Pixel 2 XL (or a cash equivalent up to $1,000), and one year of YNAB free. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Sponsor. No cash or other prize substitution permitted except at Sponsor’s discretion. The prize is non-transferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for You Need a Budget to use winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
8. Winner selection and notification: Winners of the Contest will be selected by judges chosen by You Need a Budget. Winners will be notified via email to the email address they entered the Contest with within three (3) weeks following the winner selection. You Need a Budget shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 7 days from the time award notification was sent, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal and state laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE Contest AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
9. Rights Granted by you: By entering this contest you understand that You Need a Budget, anyone acting on behalf of You Need a Budget, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
10. Terms: You Need a Budget reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, You Need a Budget may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by You Need a Budget. You Need a Budget reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, You Need a Budget reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
By entering the Contest you agree to receive email newsletters periodically from You Need a Budget. You can opt-out of receiving this communication at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
11. Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless You Need a Budget and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
12. Disputes: THIS Contest IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF The United States AND Utah, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Utah having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
14. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: You Need a Budget 770 E Main St #236 Lehi, UT 84043. Requests must be received no later than August 31, 2018.
15. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Contest is You Need a Budget 770 E Main St #236 Lehi, UT 84043.