We’re looking for two full-time operations assistants to join our team to be our company’s Santa Claus and travel guru. Interested? Read more and see if you’re the one, or…erm…one of the ones!
About Us and Why We’re Hiring
We build “You Need a Budget,” the best budgeting software and educational resources around. (Those in the know call us YNAB, which is pronounced “why-nab.”) For more than a decade, people have been using YNAB and then telling their friends what a difference it has made in their lives. Google us, or read some of our reviews on the app store, and you’ll see what we mean. We love building something that has a huge positive impact on people’s lives.
We’ve grown quite a bit over the last few years, and our current Operations Assistant has a very full plate. This is where you come in. We’re looking for two people to join us full time, and envision hiring:
- One person who takes on office admin, buying gifts for our 150+ team members, and choosing the perfect company swag. (Yes, you read that right, you get to give presents as part of your job!) For logistical reasons, this person needs to live near Lehi, Utah.
- One person who heads up travel of all kinds, including the YNAB retreat, department meetups, conference travel, and more. This person can live anywhere in the United States.
Both roles will have additional responsibilities, of course, but these are the main ones. We’ll share more details a bit further down.
We have an incredible team of the most passionate and friendly people you will ever meet, and as an Operations Assistant, you get to help make sure everyone has an exceptional work experience at YNAB. You might quickly realize this is your dream job, even if you didn’t know you had a dream job.
Requirements (These are real, actual requirements.)
- 2-3 years of work experience performing duties similar to those described below
- Those interested in the gifting and office admin role must live close enough to Lehi, UT to go to YNAB HQ at least weekly.
Before we go any further, you need to know if you’ll even like working with us. Let’s talk about life at YNAB, and then we’ll go into more detail about what we’re looking for.
We’re profitable, bootstrapped, and growing. YNAB started in 2004 and we haven’t taken any outside funding—we’re in it for the long haul. We have one overarching requirement when it comes to joining our team: our original Core Values Manifesto has to really click with you. If you’re nodding emphatically while reading it, you’ll probably really like it here, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
We live our Core Values every day at YNAB, and we mean it when we say we are an equal opportunity employer. We believe that a diversity of backgrounds, abilities, beliefs, and experiences are critical to our success, and we are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, hard-working, and diverse team who loves working together to build something that matters.
We also work really hard, together, to make working at YNAB an amazing experience, and we were (humbly) proud to be named Fortune’s #1 Best Small Company to Work For for the last two years. We have a team full of truly exceptional people—the kind you’ll be excited to work with. We’d love to introduce you to a few of them!
Who You’d be Working With:
Chance is our Head of Operations. He gets to obsess about building a great company and making sure that people really love their work at YNAB. He cares deeply about YNAB and the people who make it a success. He also oversees the company budget and financials. When he’s not championing the YNAB team experience, you’ll find him with his family outside in Southern Utah, usually on a mountain bike, a tennis court, or at the lake.
Caitlin is our People Ops Generalist. She currently runs point on most things related to HR— comp, benefits, and state laws to name a few. She loves YNAB and how it allows her to work and be a mom to three ridiculously cute boys. Her happy place is on the beach (preferably Maui) with a Diet Coke in hand. When she’s stuck in the snow in Utah, you can find her reading a book, watching reality TV, and planning her next vacation.
Lauren is our Accounting and Payroll Specialist. This means that she handles all financial reporting, annual budgets, and payroll. One of her favorite parts of working here is getting to help You Need A Budget…budget. YNAB also lets her be a working mom and spend plenty of time with her family! She loves to try new restaurants, especially when exploring new towns on vacation. But most days, you can find her cooking at home and listening to audio books.
Emily is our Operations Assistant, and you’ll be taking loads off of her plate. In fact, you’ll be taking her plate completely, since she’ll be leaving YNAB next spring. (Don’t worry—you’ll have plenty of time to train before she’s gone.) She works one day a week at YNAB HQ in Utah, and will talk your ear off about how much she loves the YNAB team, her job, and then the team again. She handles travel, gifts, swag, lots of packaging and shipping, and general help wherever needed. She works with the rest of the Ops Team to pull off the annual YNAB Retreat. Emily loves to cook, especially with and for others. She also loves to run, hike, see all kinds of new places, and spend time with family.
Amber, Emma, and Charlene are our three People Operations Specialists, who each act as the main point of HR for the teams they serve. They do everything from coordinating hiring and onboarding processes to answering benefits questions to keeping our YNAB intranet up to date. Outside of work, Amber enjoys exploring the mountains of the Pacific Northwest, Emma is in the thick of new-home projects, and Charlene is probably on an 11-mile run as you read this.
How You’ll Work at YNAB
Now that you’ve met some of your potential future teammates, let’s talk more about YNAB as a company. Here’s how we operate:
Live (Almost) Anywhere You Want
We’ve always been a fully remote team, and have people all over the world. For these particular positions, however, we’re only considering candidates based in the United States, and one of our two hires must be near Lehi, Utah. Wherever you are, just make sure you have a reliable internet connection.
No Outrageous Hours
We want everyone to have a full life outside of YNAB, and we seldom work more than 40 hours per week. There have been a few occasions where things got busy and people had to put some extra time in. But then they took some extra time off, so it all balances out. We work hard and smart, but we’re in this for the long haul.
Take Vacation (Seriously)
We want you to take vacation. In fact, we have a minimum vacation policy of three weeks per year. Five weeks feels about right (plus two extra weeks for our company-wide December break). It’s important to get plenty of downtime and get out and do something. We’ll look forward to seeing pictures of your adventures in our #office_wall Slack channel!
The YNAB Retreat
When the pandemic isn’t keeping us from traveling, we get the teams together once a year to catch up on spreadsheets and powerpoints in a Best Western conference room. Just kidding. So far, we’ve done Costa Rica, a gigantic cabin in the mountains, a beach house in the Outer Banks, a ranch in Montana, and most recently, Laguna Beach. We work together, play together, and reinforce the bonds we’ve made as a team and company. Every year, we leave refreshed, motivated, and excited for the year ahead together.
Up Your Game
We’re serious about helping you improve your craft. We budget for it (hey-o!). Think conferences, online courses and subscriptions, dedicated time away from work to learn something new…it’s really up to you and your manager. But we love to see our people growing.
For full-time W2 employees in the U.S., we offer fantastic health, dental, and vision insurance, where we cover 100% of the premium for you and your family. No need to check your vision, you read that right—100%. Although if you did need to check your vision, NBD, we’ve got you covered!
We also have a Traditional and Roth 401(k) option. YNAB matches your contributions up to six percent, and matches vest immediately. (Are you a personal finance junkie like our founder Jesse? He set up YNAB’s 401k to have the lowest fee structure possible, where all plan costs are paid by YNAB, not your retirement nest egg. The investment funds available are fantastic, passively-managed, ultra low-cost index funds. You’re not a PF junkie? Trust us, it’s awesome.)
The starting salary range for this position is $51,000-$65,000 annually. We consider raises every year, and have a bi-annual profit-share bonus. YNAB wins, you win—that kind of thing.
- Once you start, we DEMAND (in a friendly, ALL CAPS IS YELLING way) that you fill out your “Bucket List” spreadsheet with 50 items. (That’s harder than it sounds!)
- The bucket list really helps in deciding what we should give you for your birthday and the holidays.
- We’re all adults. There’s no need to punch a clock, or ask for permission to take off early one afternoon to go see the doctor. We look at what you accomplish, not how long you’re in front of a computer.
- We want you firing on all cylinders so we’ll set you up with a shiny new computer and replace it every three years.
- Did we mention that YNAB makes a huge, positive difference in people’s lives? You may not think that matters much, but then a few months down the road you’ll realize it’s made your job really, really enjoyable. Don’t underestimate this one!
If this sounds like your ideal environment, read on because now we want to talk about you, and how you’ll play a big part in changing people’s lives.
Now, Back to You, Our New Operations Assistants….
Ops Assistant work at YNAB is a good mix of leading and helping, as you obsess over big projects (like the retreat) and smaller-scale tasks (like an individual birthday gift). You’ll love working closely with the Ops team while also getting to interact with every single person at YNAB.
Some Things You’ll be Doing:
Gifting and office admin role (located near Lehi, UT):
- You’ll be in charge of getting thoughtful, individual birthday and holiday gifts for the team. It’s the best!
- Shipping will become second-nature, whether it’s from the office or our fulfillment center, going to Minnesota or Australia. We love delighting team members with welcome packages, YNAB anniversary coins, YNAB hoodies, and occasional surprises like the YNAB Cookbook. You’ll be the expert on how to get things to people on time.
- You’ll pick up the office mail and make sure it’s sorted, scanned, and given to the right people.
- When we have team meetups in Utah, you’ll help with on-site logistics like preparing for meetings and picking up lunches (and Lehi Bakery donuts).
Travel-focused role (located anywhere in the U.S.):
- People travel for quarterly meetings, conferences, team meetups, and of course, our annual retreat, and you’ll handle logistics for all of it. This includes things like booking flights, creating travel itineraries, and coordinating transportation.
- That annual retreat mentioned above? Yeah, you’ll play a huge part in planning it and making it an incredible experience for the team. It’s kind of like planning a three-day family reunion. The retreat will be your baby, and you’ll work with the rest of Ops to pull it off. And trust us, the bar is pretty high.
- You’ll also help with some admin work that can be done outside of UT, like preparing slides for our bi-monthly all hands meetings, or ordering professional development books requested by team members.
- You’ll dive deep into how current processes for things like ordering books and celebrating birthdays can be optimized without losing any of the magic that is the YNAB team experience.
- You’ll keep track of the money spent on everything listed above.
- The Ops Team handles all of the HR work at YNAB, so you’ll be part of these discussions too!
- On your best days, you’ll find opportunities to wow team members and make their day brighter. You’ll become a bit of an evangelist of what it means to work at YNAB, and really help bring it to life with your personality and perspective.
You’re Our Ideal Person If:
- You LOVE (that’s right, all caps) making someone’s day.
- You can handle multiple deadlines and competing priorities. In fact, they energize you.
- You know when to change your schedule because someone needs your help.
- You anticipate and prepare for contingencies as if you’re psychic.
- You have the ability to stay laser-focused on the big picture, without losing sight of every. last. detail.
- You are wildly productive, self-motivated, and independent, but a team-player at heart.
- Organized, flexible, and collaborative are your middle names. All three of them.
- You never drop the ball. Well, maybe not never, but the last time it happened, you admitted it, learned from it, and moved on.
- You’re proficient with technology and learning new things.
- You can’t help but notice that things could be done better using this or that method/tool.
- You care deeply. About people and outcomes, but especially about people. In fact, you’ve probably learned that when you care about people, the outcomes happen naturally.
How to Apply
- Apply below by Sunday, December 12th at 11:59pm PST. Firm. It’s a real deadline. The kind you love.
- Attach a PDF of your cover letter.
- On a separate page of your cover letter, answer the following questions, in a few sentences each:
- What excites you most about this position?
- What criteria do you look for when searching for your next company or position?
- What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your current, or most recent, job?
- Tell us about a time when you had to learn something new to excel at your job.
- Tell us about a time you went above and beyond to help a coworker.
- Attach a PDF resume.
We’re excited to hear from you!
P.S. We’ll send you a confirmation email once you apply. Please add that email to your safe sender list to ensure that future emails come through. (If you don’t receive it, please check to make sure it wasn’t filtered into another folder/inbox.)
P.P.S. If this position isn’t right for you at this time, but you know someone who might be interested, we’d really appreciate it if you passed this along!