We have taught a lot of people how to get out of debt and break the paycheck to paycheck cycle. I don’t have an exact number, but we are talking hundreds of thousands of people.
And we do this by asking them to think about their money differently.
I’m not going to lie, often the beginning is really rough. It’s such a mental shift, and if you are already stressed about money, and it’s hard to even think about it at all, much less every.single.dollar. like we teach people to do.
What Does Your Money Need To Do?
When we are trying to get people over the hump, the hard transition at the beginning, we often ask them to ask, “What should this money do before I’m paid again?”
It’s a good question. I hope that even you veteran YNABers are still asking it when you sit down to budget. But there is another question I’ve been thinking about, “How will you feel when your money is doing that?”
I got this question from a friend, Mark Butler, who runs a business consulting with small business owners, teaching them how to use YNAB and saving them from a whole lot of stress.
And If It Did That, How Will It Make You Feel…
Mark said one of the things that he often asks these small business owners is, “How will you feel when your money is doing fill-in-the-blank?” I love that it forces you to look even further out and really think about the result of your choices.
- How will you feel when a little bit of money is being set aside for Junior’s college?
- How will you feel when a little bit of money is being set aside for that vacation that you’ve been wanting take?
- How will you feel when the mortgage is paid off?
- How will you feel when that last credit card is 100 percent done?
- How will you feel when you get to out to a nice restaurant a couple of times a month?
- How will you feel when you get to buy some new clothes and not feel guilty about it?
- How will you feel when you get to go to the grocery store and pay top dollar for top quality food?
- How will you feel when the transmission goes on your car (that does not feel good, of course)and you have the money to pay for it?
- How will you feel when you have aged your money and you simply don’t have to think about money so much?
If you really think about it, it can be a powerful tool to help us prioritize more precisely, to make even better decisions.
As you are budgeting, go down the list. How will you feel when your money is doing that? Go to the next category, how does that make you feel? Some of the stuff is pretty mundane, but some of it can really open up your thinking.
Who knew budgeting was so touchy-feely? Well, we did and now you do too!
Gain Total Control of Your Money
YNAB will help you get out of debt, break the paycheck to paycheck cycle and save more money–faster