- File -> Export
- File – Open -> [your file name]-Register.csv
- Delete all rows that don’t apply to your tax year (as I write this, 2010)
- Keep the date, category, payee, outflow, and inflow columns (you can delete the others).
- Highlight all of your columns (five remaining)
- Data -> Pivot Table Report .. -> Finish
- Drag the Category field from the Pivot Table Settings box to the Column section (far left of your pivot table Shell)
- Drag the Outflow field from the Pivot Table Settings box to the Data section (big area of your pivot table).
- Right-click on the Total column -> Field Settings -> Make sure Sum is selected.